Mr. Khorsand is a civil litigator whose practice focuses on representing employers in employment-related disputes throughout Rhode Island and Massachusetts. He has represented employers, government entities and individuals in age, gender, race, and disability discrimination suits in state and federal courts and administrative agencies in various jurisdictions.
Mr. Khorsand began his legal career as an associate at the Providence office of the national firm of Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge in 2008, where he was part of a litigation team dedicated to the defense of CVS in tort and employment suits across the nation. He has also practiced employment law as a Special Assistant Attorney General at the District of Columbia’s Office of the Attorney General and as an associate at both a Washington DC and a Providence firm.
In addition, Mr. Khorsand served as a judicial law clerk at the Maryland Circuit Court for the Honorable Kendra Young Ausby in Baltimore, Maryland.
Mr. Khorsand is a Providence native and currently resides in Aquidneck Island with his wife and children. He is an active member of the Rhode Island Bar and Federal Bar Associations.
Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., LL.M in Taxation, 2008)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (B.A., 2003)
U.S District Court, District of Rhode Island
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, District of District of Columbia
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- Obtained a number of six- figure settlements for individual plaintiffs in suits alleging violations of ADA, ADEA, FMLA, and RIPFMLA in Rhode Island state and federal courts.
- At the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights, obtained dismissal of claims for gender orientation discrimination brought against an independent preparatory school.
- Successfully moved for summary judgment on behalf of the District of Columbia and its Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief in a suit brought under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 alleging race discrimination, violation of their First Amendment rights, and violation of the District of Columbia Whistleblower Protection Act. Gregory Bowyer, et. al. v. District of Columbia, et. al. Civil Action No. 09-319 (D.D.C. 2012).
- Teixeira v. Town of Coventry, 882 F.3d 13 (1st Cir. 2018), Federal Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section Circuits Updates, February 2018.
- Co-Author, Leave Laws: Rhode Island, Practical Law Labor & Employment, Thomson Reuters, 2018.
- Co-Author, Independent Contractors: Rhode Island, Practical Law Labor & Employment, Thomson Reuters, 2018.
- Co-Author, Background Check Laws: Rhode Island, Practical Law Labor & Employment, Thomson Reuters, 2018.
- Co-Author, Non-Compete Laws: Rhode Island, Practical Law Labor & Employment, Thomson Reuters, 2018.
- Co-presenter, How Labor & Employment Has Changed Under the Trump Administration, AP&S CLE, June 8, 2017.
- Federal Bar Association April 2017, Circuit Updates, Federal Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, May 25, 2017.
- Federal Bar Association December 2016 Circuit Updates, Federal Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, February 1, 2017.
- Presenter, Employment Law Risk Reduction for Companies: How Plaintiffs’ Counsel Can Spot HR Violations, Rhode Island Bar Association, March 15, 2016.
- Federal Bar Association August 2016 Circuit Updates, Federal Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, October 1, 2016.
- Taxes on Severance Payments: Supreme Court to Resolve Split among Circuit Courts, Legally Speaking, March 2014.
- In a Challenge Brought by the EEOC, the United States District Court for Maryland Holds that Background Checks Are an “Important” and “Essential” Part of the Employment Process., Carr Maloney P.C. E-Newsletter, October 2013.
- Metro Region Builders Challenge the Constitutionality of the District’s First Source Act, Carr Maloney P.C. E-Newsletter, July 2013.
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association House of Delegates.
- Editorial Board Member, Rhode Island Bar Association, Bar Journal.
- Subcommittee Member, Rhode Island Bar Association, Federal Bench/Bar Committee ESI.
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association, Labor and Employment Committee.
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section Publications Committee.
- Vice Chair, Town of Portsmouth Tax Assessment Board of Review.
- Member, Classical High School Alumni Association, Finance Committee and Public Relations Committee.
- Member, Sakonnet Point Club.