Daniel is a U.S. Patent and Trademark Office registered patent attorney (U.S. Reg. No. 59,518) and admitted to the federal district courts in Rhode Island and Massachusetts. Most importantly, Daniel has extensive experience in developing and executing strategies for clients’ intellectual property portfolios with a sharply honed focus on furthering their business objectives. As a registered patent attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Daniel has a passionate focus on assisting a wide range of clients from early stage technology companies to Fortune 500 companies located throughout the United States and Canada with their intellectual property law issues. More specifically, Daniel advocates and counsels clients in intellectual property areas such as patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition, and domain names. Daniel’s range of technology areas is vast including medical technologies, software, biofuels, nanotechnology, material science, eyewear, coatings, vaccines, chemicals, consumer packaging, biotechnology, and green technologies.
Daniel advises on all aspects of intellectual property protection including prosecution, procurement, federal litigation, proceedings before the Patent and Trial Appeal Board (PTAB) (i.e. reexaminations and interferences), Trademark Trial and Appeals Board (TTAB) (i.e. oppositions, cancellations, appeals), reexamination, interference, Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) proceedings, licensing from technology transfer offices and others, and auctioning of IP. In addition to his law practice, Daniel is an adjunct Professor of Molecular Pharmacology, Physiology, and Biotechnology at Brown University in Providence, RI. In his spare time, Daniel volunteers for non-profit organizations dedicated to children with autism.
- Temple University (J.D. 2000)
- Northeastern University – Organic Chemistry Program
- University of Massachusetts – Amherst (B.B.A. 1994)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Anti-counterfeiting and intellectual property enforcement especially for foreign imports into the United States and globally, especially in the As Seen on TV industry.
- Represented entity in patent troll litigation and resolved dispute on favorable terms.
- Litigated over 100 matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board with successful results.
- Drafted, prosecuted, and filed well over 500 patent and trademark applications.
- Won multiple Uniform Domain Name Resolution proceedings before the National Arbitration Forum.
- Represented leading university in developing substantial patent portfolio in nanotechnology.
- Handle a substantial intellectual property portfolio in the DRTV (direct response television) industry.
- Represented biomedical coating company in successful appeal before National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Guest on Innovation Southcoast, a weekly radio show hosted by UMASS Dartmouth’s Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, on Thursday, April 6th at 2:00pm. Click here to listen to Dan's interview.
- U.S. Patent Owners: How to Stop Patent Infringement at U.S. Border – RI Small Business Journal.
- What is the Difference Between a Legal Name, Trade Name, and a Trademark? – RI Small Business Journal.
- Identifying and Extracting Value from a Nanotech IP Portfolio – co-author.
- Providence Business News summit on "Growing and Protecting Your Brand" Feb. 25, 2016.
- How To Self Police Your Intellectual Property Rights
- Improving Client Happiness – RI Bar Association Annual Meeting – June 2015 (upcoming).
- Using Trademarks and Copyrights to Defend Your Company - Fall River Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Protecting Your Business Using Intellectual Property – CWE/SBA @HarborOne.
- Simple Steps to Protect Your Invention – Founders League.
- Protecting Inventions Using a Provisional Patent Application – Founders League.
- The Fundamentals of Intellectual Property Law – Rhode Island Bar CLE.
- How to Protect Social Media Using Intellectual Property Law - Prophet Share.
- Maintaining Trade Secrets for Business Inventions – RI Small Business Development Center.
- Protecting Your E-Commerce Website Using Intellectual Property – sponsored by RI Secretary of State.
- Protecting Your Business with Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks – RI Small Business Development Center.
- Intellectual Property Basics - Law Review CLE.
- Recognized as one of Managing Intellectual Property Magazine’s IP Stars 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- Member, International Trade Commission (ITC), Committee of American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- Professional Affiliate Member (PAM), Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants.
- Member, Boston Patent Law Association.
- Member, American Chemistry Society (ACS).
- Member, International Trademark Association.
- Adjunct Professor, Molecular Pharmacology, Physiology and Biotechnology, Brown University.
- The Groden Network.
- Autism Society of America.
Pro Bono Work
Legal Advisor for CWE (Center for Women & Enterprise).
Legal Advisor for SCORE (Society of Retired Executives).