An author and frequent lecturer on estate planning, administration and taxes, David provides responsive, sympathetic and personable counsel to his varied individual clients, helping to preserve their wealth, minimize their taxes and assure their assets benefit the family members and institutions they hold dear.
David is highly skilled and experienced in the administration of estates and trusts and deeply experienced in helping clients plan their estates to accommodate special concerns, such as an elderly parent or disabled child. He also counsels businesses and charities in estate and business-succession matters as well as on tax-related issues.
Highly rated by his peer attorneys and noted for his professionalism and high ethical standards, David has served as an adjunct instructor at the Roger Williams University School of Law and Bryant University Graduate School of Taxation. Since 1983, he has been the chair of the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Committee on Probate and Trusts.
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 1970)
- Brown University (A.B., cum laude, 1967)
- Rhode Island
- David has helped numerous families develop customized estate plans that accommodate disabled children, elderly parents and other special needs.
- He has successfully negotiated favorable settlements with the IRS regarding estate tax issues on his clients’ behalf.
- Writing Director, Virginia Legal Research Group.
- Author, Wills, Trusts and Gifts, which analyzes Rhode Island cases and statutes.
- Frequent lecturer for the Rhode Island Bar Association on topics related to estate planning, estate administration and estate tax.
- Former adjunct professor, Roger Williams University School of Law.
- Recognized as a “JD Supra Top Author” in the JD Supra 2017 and 2018 Readers’ Choice Awards.
- Rhode Island Bar Association’s Award of Merit, 1996.
- Estate Planning Council of Rhode Island – Lifetime Achievement 2007.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® since 1991 in the field of Estate Planning & Probate Law.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Named a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2007-2017.
- Chair, Committee on Probate and Trust – Rhode Island Bar Association.
- Member, American Bar Association – Tax Section.
- Member, American Bar Association – Real Property, Probate and Trust Section.
- Member, Past President, Estate Planning Council of Rhode Island.
- Fellow, Former State Chair, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association.
- Member, Planned Giving Council of Rhode Island.
- Member, Board of Directors, Audubon Society of Rhode Island.
- Rhode Island Civic Chorale and Orchestra.
- Rhode Island Chapter, American Guild of Organists.