A highly experienced land use, zoning and litigation attorney, Beth often represents national and local developers of commercial and residential properties in all phases of development, permitting and entitlements at the federal, state and local level. Her knowledge and skills in municipal affairs and government relations makes her a powerful leader of any development team. Success in any development is the paramount goal which occasionally requires litigation to secure a client’s rights. Beth has successfully litigated significant property rights cases and is in the forefront of litigation on cases of zoning, planning and eminent domain. In handling all matters related to land use, Beth also handles commercial and environmental litigation, products and professional liability as well as eminent domain, inverse condemnation, civil rights actions and challenges to municipal tax assessments.
- Hastings College of Law (J.D., 1989)
- University of California, Berkeley (A.B., with honors, 1984)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Development of convenience stores with gasoline fueling for Cumberland Farms, Inc.
- Development of numerous national retailer sites.
- Adaptive reuse development of historic buildings for residential and commercial uses employing federal and state credits remediating contaminated sites through agreements with municipal and environmental agencies.
- Development of Green and LEED certified construction.
- Three cases of first impression involving interpretations of the state enabling legislation for zoning, planning, and comprehensive plans, specifically, Munroe v. Town of East Greenwich, 733 A.2d 703 (R.I. 1999), J.C. Realty, Inc. v. Barry, 811 A.2d 1202 (R.I. 2002) and Dallman v. Isaacs, 911 A.2d 700 (R.I. 2006).
- Historic Preservation in Rhode Island: Adaptive Reuse and Historic Tax Credits.
- Major Land Use Laws in Rhode Island.
- Ms. Noonan has lectured on land development, affordable housing, historic preservation and adaptive re-use.
- Best Lawyers' 2016 Lawyer of the Year, Land Use and Zoning, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ 2015 Lawyer of the Year, Land Use and Zoning, Providence.
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the field of Real Estate Law.
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in the 2007-2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Land Use and Zoning and Real Estate.
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Beth is past president of the Rhode Island Women’s Bar Association and she formerly served on the Board of Directors for Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Rhode Island.
- She is a graduate of Leadership Rhode Island and is the recipient of the Rhode Island Bar Association’s Pro Bono Publico award for her public service work with the Volunteer Lawyers Association and the Homeless Legal Clinic.
- Beth was a delegate to the Democratic National Conventions in 1996 and 2008.