Geoff is a commercial litigator who focuses his practice on business disputes. He is an experienced trial lawyer who has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants at trial and on appeal in courts across the country in high-stakes and business-critical commercial matters.
A large segment of his practice is devoted to representing commercial banks. He regularly defends community and national banks in litigation brought by customers, vendors and other entities. As a result of his knowledge and experience in this area, Geoff is also frequently asked to advise and counsel banks on regulatory matters.
Geoff’s commercial litigation practice includes significant first-chair experience in complex and class action commercial cases. He has successfully defended corporations across a variety of industries in multi-million dollar claims, and has also brought similar claims on behalf of businesses. The victories Geoff achieves on behalf of his clients are regularly listed as among the “Most Important Decisions” each year by Rhode Island and Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly.
- Fordham University (J.D., 1995)
- Colgate University (B.A., 1990)
- Rhode Island
- New York
- New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Sixth and Federal Circuits
- On behalf of a national bank, successfully moved to dismiss a class action complaint brought in the United States District Court for the District of Maine by student loan borrowers alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act
- Won summary judgment for a national luxury hotel management company in a case brought by a man who was physically attacked in the lobby of a Providence hotel. (Named one of the Top 100 Most Important Decisions of 2016 by Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly).
- Presently defending a multi-national metals recycling company in litigation brought by owner of adjacent commercial property asserting claims for nuisance and property damage resulting from scrap metal stevedoring operations. (Decisions issued in this case were named among of the Top 100 Most Important Decisions of 2014 and 2015 by Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly).
- Represented a food distribution company that conducted a nationwide product recall due to salmonella contamination of its products through tainted pepper. Obtained a $33 million judgment against one spice company defendant and successfully pursued all other responsible parties.
- Successfully obtained judgment on the pleadings on behalf of an international metals recycling company in a class action litigation brought by suppliers alleging violations of the civil RICO act and other claims.
- Achieved denial of class certification and dismissal of all claims asserted against a commercial bank in a class arbitration matter alleging violations of the Vermont Consumer Fraud Act.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of a mortgage lender accused of violating the appraiser independence provisions of the Dodd Frank Act.
- Obtained dismissal of class action claims under the Rhode Island Deceptive Trade Practices Act against an attorney accused of misleading advertisements. (Named one of the Top Ten Most Important Decisions of 2013 by Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly).
- Successfully moved to dismiss claims brought against a commercial bank by a law firm that was defrauded by its payroll company, which maintained accounts at the bank. (Named one of the Top 100 Most Important Decisions of 2013 by Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly).
- Defended a defense contractor in South Carolina federal court in a dispute with a finance company regarding U.C.C. factoring liens.
- Represented a minority shareholder in a dispute against the majority shareholders in a closely held company involving valuation of the company.
- Initiated and successfully concluded a Limitation of Liability Action on behalf of a boat club and a vessel involved in a double fatality maritime accident in Narragansett Bay.
- Enjoined a Korean manufacturer and two former employees of a construction equipment manufacturing company from misappropriating trade secrets and unlawfully establishing a competing business, and negotiated a resolution of the associated damage claims.
- Successfully appealed the award of summary judgment and affirmed a class certification ruling in a nationwide commercial class action lawsuit involving indexed annuities.
- Rhode Island Usury: Interest By Any Other Name Is Still Interest.
- Co-author, Rhode Island ABA Performance Bond Manual.
- Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Depositions: But Your Client Could Not Afford to Research, Rhode Island Bar Journal, 2002.
- Social Media in Litigation, MetLife Auto & Home 2015 House Counsel Conference, May 7, 2015.
- Best Lawyers' 2017 Lawyer of the Year, Construction Law, Providence.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 – 2018 editions in the field of Construction Law.
- Selected as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2007-2016.
- Order of the Coif, Fordham University Law School.
- Member, Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, Federal Bar Association.
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association.
- Member, Orrick Alumni Network.
- Donovan Leisure Alumni.
- Workforce Investment Board for Providence and Cranston.
- Leadership Rhode Island.