In complex acquisitions, leasing and real estate financing transactions, Jon provides his real estate, development, corporate and lending clients practical, effective and personable counsel by focusing on their ultimate business goals. Jon focuses on real estate, commercial lending, hospitality related transactions and gaming. He represents publicly traded real estate investment trusts in connection with the acquisition, disposition and financing of hotel properties. Jon represents national lending institutions in connection with the financing of hotel properties. He has been the primary attorney in the development of premier hotel properties in downtown Boston.
From professional sports stadium land deals to multimillion dollar hotel financing to permitting and development for industry, Jon applies his deep experience and practical know-how to secure real estate financing, portfolio lending, construction lending, loan workouts and restructurings. In addition to financing, his hospitality-industry work includes acquisitions, dispositions and negotiating management contracts and franchise agreements.
Jon has represented various financial institutions in loan workout and recovery scenarios. He has documented a variety of loan restructurings. He has also foreclosed upon real property and personal property, as well as both privately held and publicly traded securities.
- Boston College Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1993)
- St. Lawrence University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1990)
- Rhode Island
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank in connection with financing portfolio of seventeen hotels.
- Represented lender group in connection with refinancing of resort casino. Representation included advising client with regard to state gaming laws and regulations, creation and perfection of security interests in associated real property, personal property, licensure and securities. Assisted client in connection with interaction with relevant state gaming authorities.
- Represented SSB Realty, LLC, a subsidiary of State Street Corporation, in connection with leasing of 160,000 square feet of office space in Kansas City, Missouri and 65,000 square feet of office space in Sacramento, California.
- Represented FelCor Hotel Lodging Trust in connection with its acquisition of the Fairmont Copley Plaza.
- Represented SSB Realty, LLC, a subsidiary of State Street Corporation, in connection with the sublease of 50,000 square feet of office space in the John Hancock Tower in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented the developer of the Back Bay Hotel (formerly Jurys Headquarters Hotel).
- Represented Magna Hospitality in connection with the acquisition and financing of a three hotel portfolio. Represented Bank of America in connection with financing of Le Meridien Hotel at University Park in Cambridge.
- Represented the lender in the $200 million financing of a nationally franchised hotel, drafting and negotiating loan documents for permanent financing.
- Represented national multi-family developer in connection with financing of project in Irvine, Texas.
- In a Hartford, CT, nationally franchised hotel acquisition, he negotiated assumption of franchise agreement, acquisition financing documents and purchase and sale agreement.
- Oversaw the real estate portion of a professional sports stadium development.
- Completed the permitting and development of an automobile transmodel facility for a railroad.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2018 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Land Use and Zoning and Real Estate.
- AV rated by Martindale Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Phi Beta Kappa.
- The Harry Reiff Memorial Scholarship, St. Lawrence University.
- Class orator at commencement ceremony, St. Lawrence University.
- Member, National Association of Office and Industrial Properties.
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers.
- Member, Real Estate Finance Association.
- Chair, Town of Wayland Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Youth hockey coach.
- Member, Program Committee for NAIOP.