With a wealth of high-stakes labor and employment law experience, Lori brings to her employer clients a successful track record and in-depth knowledge in employment disputes, including discrimination and retaliation, wage-and-hour issues and termination of employment cases.
A featured speaker at important labor seminars, she also represents employers in labor relations matters, including unfair labor-practice proceedings, grievance arbitrations and collective bargaining, and often handles labor litigation that arises in connection with arbitrated labor disputes.
Lori works hard counseling her clients to help avoid disputes. She assists them in managing workplace risk, crafting employee handbooks, instituting proactive workplace policies, and conducting workplace training for management and staff. Lori helps her public and quasi-public clients manage the challenges of adhering to collective bargaining agreement terms within the framework of applicable law, aids them in developing strike plans, and educates them on how to maintain operations during a strike.
- Boston University (J.D., 1983)
- University of Massachusetts (B.A., summa cum laude, 1979)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Won summary judgment in a federal court case deemed one of the most important decisions of 2013 by Rhode Island Lawyers Weekly that construed a municipal charter and determined the powers of the municipal council thereunder.
- Prevailed in state court on consecutive motions to dismiss employment claims, including a whistleblower claim, against a nonprofit entity.
- Prevailed in federal court in both Massachusetts and Rhode Island on motions to dismiss employment claims asserted by a terminated executive director against a nonprofit employer.
- Handled, and continues to handle, protracted and complex negotiations, mediation, and interest arbitration proceedings on behalf of a public sector employer.
- Has advocated to invalidate business-unfriendly laws and regulations, including “Sunday pay” and weekly payroll provisions, on behalf of national companies seeking to establish a business presence in the State of Rhode Island.
- Has championed the cause of provider nondiscrimination under state and federal health care law on behalf of Rhode Island’s practicing chiropractic physicians.
- She represented a Rhode Island hospitality-industry employer in a matter involving employer liability for sexual harassment outside the workplace. The case tested the limits to which an employer is liable for off-site actions of its employees.
- She settled a case on behalf of an international shoe manufacturer based in Massachusetts in an age-discrimination matter, saving the client extensive court and legal fees, as well as potential substantial damages. Lori successfully represented the client in defense of a claim filed in United States District Court. Summary judgment was granted in the defendant's favor, saving the company potential damages and trial expenses.
- Lori successfully negotiated complex collective bargaining agreements for several quasi-governmental agencies that addressed health care and retiree health benefits, achieving cost savings and other management objectives.
- Author, New Protection For Pregnant Employees, JD Supra, Oct. 2015.
- Author, New Massachusetts Earned Sick Time Law, JD Supra, July, 2015.
- A frequent speaker before attorneys, management and employee groups, addressing issues involving sexual harassment in the workplace, the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), state and federal leave laws and the legal aspects of hiring and firing.
- Featured speaker at noted labor seminars, including the Annual Labor and Employment Conference sponsored by the Schmidt Labor Research Center at the University of Rhode Island and the Rhode Island Bar Association's Annual Meeting.
- Recognized in the 2015 and 2016 Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of Labor and Employment Law.
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Labor Law – Management 2015 - 2018.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Named a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2007-2017.
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (Member, Trial Law Institute and Diversity Law Institute.)
- Member, Labor and Employment Committee, Rhode Island Bar Association.
- Member, Ralph P. Semonoff Award Committee, Rhode Island Bar Association.
- Member, President's Council of Coyle and Cassidy High School in Taunton, Massachusetts.
- Former Member, Board of Directors of the Rehoboth Ambulance Committee.
- Member, Board of Directors, East Bay Center.
- Member, Women’s Leadership Council, United Way.