Michael is Counsel in the firm’s Boston office. He concentrates his practice representing corporate clients in business disputes, professional liability, general liability, premises liability, and mass-tort defense, as well as litigation management services. Michael also represents insurance providers in coverage matters.
Michael’s litigation practice involves defending companies against negligence claims in state and federal courts. He also defends lawyers, accountants, brokers, architects, and other professionals against malpractice claims. His deep experience in these areas allows him to identify the best result for his clients and achieve their goals efficiently through either litigation or negotiation.
A significant portion of Michael’s practice involves the direct representation of insurance companies in coverage litigation arising from various types of policies, including general and professional liability. He also provides counselling to his clients’ claims professionals on proper claim handling. In addition to litigating, Michael also prepares opinion letters for his insurance clients, which analyze coverage obligations and potential risks.
Michael has spoken and written on various topics involving insurance and litigation issues. He is actively involved in the ABA’s Tort and Insurance Practice Section and enjoys leadership positions on its Insurance Coverage Litigation and Professional Liability Insurance Committees.
Suffolk University School of Law (J.D., 2005)
College of the Holy Cross (B.A., 1999)
U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Defended a Massachusetts medical device start-up against shareholder fraud claims, navigating the company through the lawsuit while simultaneously progressing through funding rounds, which required diligence in the litigation and sensitivity to the client’s business needs.
- Served as coverage counsel to a global insurance company whose insured was targeted in a massive anti-trust lawsuit. Advised the insurer on coverage and strategy issues in the multi-tower litigation and participated in multi-lateral settlement negotiations among the coverage group.
- Defended the former CEO of a large staffing company against a breach of contract claim brought by the purchaser of the company and achieved a favorable result.
- Advised an insurer client on claims from multiple insureds arising out of the mishandling of FEMA post-hurricane relief funds. Coordinated and developed a uniform insurer response to claims arising from multiple claimant contracts.
- Defended a large law firm and its principals against a malpractice action alleging improper corporate and tax advice. Used expert witness testimony to establish the propriety of the law firm’s advice and achieved a favorable result for the firm.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for large products liability defendants. In this role he directed and managed outside counsel, devised unique strategies for cases pending nationwide, helped develop clients’ expert witness programs, and coordinated discovery in multiple cases across the country. Also successfully negotiated global settlement agreements encompassing multiple lawsuits for his clients.
- Liability Claims Against Architects & Engineers (New York CLE, March 2015);
- Cyber Liability & Data Breach from the Insurance Perspective (NH CLE, Sept. 2015);
- Refreshing or Creating Witness Recollection: Where is the Line? (ABA TIPS Newsletter 2016);
- Cyber Liabilities Continue to Grow (ABA TIPS/PODL Newsletter, Jan. 2016);
- Chapter 93A and Bad Faith Claims (BBA Seminar Moderator, May 2013);
- Social Media Defamation Claims (BBA Seminar Moderator, March 2013);
- Toxic Tort Claims, Nuts and Bolts (BBA Seminar Moderator, October 2012).
- Member, American Bar Association (Tort & Insurance Practice Section) – Professional Liability Insurance Committee Vice-Chair, Newsletter Editor.
- Member, American Bar Association (Tort & Insurance Practice Section) – Insurance Coverage Litigation Vice-Chair.
- Member, New Hampshire Bar Association – Insurance Law Committee.
- Member, Boston Bar Association - Litigation Steering Committee Member (2012 – 2014).
- Coach, Town of Milton Youth Baseball, Soccer, Flag Football, and Basketball.
- Milton, MA Public Schools Committee to Benefit Public School Science Programs.
- Member, Holy Cross Alumni Lawyers Committee.
- Regis High School Alumni Society, New York, NY.