From multinational corporations to conservation organizations, from family-owned businesses to individuals, Stanley’s clients rely on his extensive and nationally recognized real estate know-how to save them time and money in purchasing, leasing, financing and selling real estate both domestically and internationally.
He successfully represents builders in all phases of project development, from conception to permitting to leasing or sale, negotiating and drafting complex leases, operating agreements and easements. He is also well-versed in the intricacies of title insurance commitments and policies, including analyzing and resolving complicated transactions and formulating and obtaining detailed endorsements and affirmative coverage.
His extensive real estate experience extends to resolving survey concerns, handling mortgages and lending transactions, successfully appealing excessive real estate tax assessments, and helping conservation organizations preserve and protect valued natural habitats and wetlands.
Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, since 2007, reports: Stanley Kanter is “the most detail oriented, thorough individual we have ever met”; is “very knowledgeable and very experienced”; “impresses clients with his knowledge, intelligence and experience”; and is a “deeply experienced and knowledgeable lawyer.”
“In my opinion, Stanley Kanter is the foremost real estate attorney in New England. His knowledge and expertise are second to none. He has handled numerous complex real estate matters for me with superior results. Stanley is extremely responsive to client demands and handles sensitive issues with utmost professionalism and decorum in all instances. His attention to detail and the quality of his work are two of his strongest assets. His is a community leader and a strong mentor for younger attorneys. Stanley Kanter has my highest recommendation.”
William Gorgone, Vice President & General Counsel, Cookson Electronics, Inc.
“We have used Stanley Kanter at Adler Pollock & Sheehan for many years. Mr. Kanter is perhaps the most knowledgeable real estate attorney in Rhode Island. State and local regulatory issues are complex, and Mr. Kanter never fails to give advice in an evenhanded, non-emotional fashion. Mr. Kanter understands how the system works; which is important when determining how to proceed in a complicated real estate matter. He does the work and is not handing it off to junior associates who may not be familiar with the issue.”
W. Hollis Petersen
- Cornell University (J.D., 1968)
- Boston University (B.S., cum laude, 1965)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Stanley has successfully represented wide-ranging corporate, organizational and individual clients in complex real estate matters, including:
- A charitable conservation organization, as an umbrella organization for area property owners, in a private dredging project of a salt water coastal pond, to restore marine habitats and to improve water quality and flow and preserve a barrier beach to better protect the neighboring residents from coastal storms. The project encompasses two towns and requires permits from the State of Rhode Island and the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
- Various charitable conservation organizations in obtaining, through donation, purchase, or a combination thereof, conservation easements on properties, to keep them in their natural state and preserve open space.
- Owners, using creative valuation strategies, to successfully resolve numerous appeals of excessive tax valuations on high-end residential and recreational properties.
- A subsidiary of a publicly traded power generator in the sale of its 550 megawatt Rhode Island gas-fired power plant to another publicly traded entity.
- The buyer of a historic hotel property addressing the processes related to the modified renovations contemplated by the new owner to effect a more environmentally sensitive facility. Involvement concentrated on strategic advice regarding design issues; Town and State permitting issues which were most sensitive due to the coastal nature of the site; construction and related contracts and agreements; State and Federal historic tax credits related to the site as modified; insurance-related concerns; and conservation and other restrictions applicable to that development of the property.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2006-2018 editions in the area of Real Estate.
- Best Lawyers’ 2015 Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ 2012 Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Real Estate, Providence.
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Recognized in Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers since 2007.
- Selected as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2007-2016.
- Cum laude graduate of Boston University.
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association’s Title Standards Committee.
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers.
- Member, Cornell University Real Estate Council.
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel.
- Fellow and State Chair, American College of Mortgage Attorneys.
- Director, Grow Smart Rhode Island.