Providence RI 02903-1345
- Roger Williams University School of Law, J.D., 1998
- University of Rhode Island, B.A., high distinction, 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Tax Court
An experienced estate planning attorney, Joseph is a frequent lecturer on estate and long term care planning issues and conservation easements. His areas of practice include estate and income tax planning, business succession planning, conservation easements, long-term care planning, probate and trust administration, special needs planning and real estate conveyancing.
Prior to joining Adler Pollock and Sheehan, Joseph was an associate at Burns & Levinson in its Providence, Rhode Island and Boston, Massachusetts Offices. He often counsels clients on estate and income tax savings techniques including the most tax efficient ways in which to transfer wealth and family businesses through multiple family generations. He also helps families preserve assets through advance planning for their long-term care needs. He frequently represents trustees and banks in their service as fiduciaries in the settlement of complex estates.
- Joseph has assisted countless families with their estate, special needs and long-term care planning, helping them fine tune their plans to reach their goals.
- Joseph has helped business owners transition their business interests and wealth to the next generation, achieving parity among beneficiaries while at the same time helping both parents and children avoid income and estate tax.
- Joseph has handled the reformation of numerous trusts and removal and replacement of trustees before the court system in order to achieve the intended result of the drafter of the trust for estate and long-term care planning purposes.
- Joseph has represented numerous landowners in the negotiation of their land conservation easements. He has handled several of the largest land conservation acquisitions in Rhode Island.
Honors & Distinctions
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 and 2014 editions in the field of Trust & Estates.
- Named by Rhode Island Monthly and Rhode Island Business Quarterly as a “2013 Five Star Wealth Manager”. Fewer than seven percent of the wealth managers in Rhode Island were selected for this award.
- Named Rhode Island Rising Star 2011 - 2013, by the publishers of Super Lawyers, recognizing him as an outstanding young attorney in the Rhode Island legal community.
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Committee on Probate and Trusts
- Rhode Island Estate Planning Council
- Rhode Island Foundation, Professional Advisory Council
- Board of Governors, Catholic Foundation of Rhode Island
- Newport County Advisory Council
- University of Rhode Island Alumni Association, Board of Directors, Finance Committee
- National Association of Elder Law Attorneys
Community & Civic Activity
- Rhode Island Planned Giving Council
- Member, The Maher Center
- Newport County Council of the Arts, Board of Directors
- Little Compton Community Center, Board of Directors (1997-2007)
- Little Compton Agricultural Conservancy Trust, Vice Chairperson (1998-2007)
- Top Honors for AP&S Attorneys by New England Super Lawyers
- Adler Pollock & Sheehan Proudly Supports the 20th Anniversary of RWU Law
- 26 AP&S Attorneys Selected for 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- Newport Office Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- AP&S Attorneys Named to New England Super Lawyers 2012
- Joseph R. Marion Named Five Star Wealth Manager
- AP&S Attorneys Selected for 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- Joseph Marion Appointed to Board of The James L. Maher Center
- AP&S Welcomes Joseph R. Marion, III
Presentations & Events
- Joseph Marion to Speak at Boston Bar Association’s Brown Bag Lunch Session
- Joseph Marion Speaks at Special Olympics Rhode Island Event
- David Riedel and Joseph Marion Present to Partnership for Philanthropic Planning of R.I.
- AP&S Attorneys to Speak at R.I. Bar Association’s 2011 Annual Meeting
Publications & Seminars
- Estate Planning for Special Needs Benefits, CLE Seminar, Financial Planning Association of Rhode Island, April 9, 2013.
- FAQ's Regarding Asset Protection for Physicians and Dentists, February 8, 2012
- Estate Planning and Elder Law Update, R.I. Society of CPAs, January 19, 2012.
- Sophisticated Probate Strategies, NBI, December 9, 2012.
- Death Tax Not Dead: Expiring Tax Laws Provide Estate Planning Opportunities – 2010 and Beyond, Tax & Estate Planning Advisory, November 2010
- Don’t Let Taxes Decide Your Business’ Future, Providence Business News, June 15, 2009.
- Long-Term Care Planning Essential in Tough Times, Providence Business News, November 17, 2008.
- Don’t Try This At Home – What NOT to Do When Changing Your Estate Plan, Focus, Spring 2008.