Providence RI 02903-1345
- Northeastern University (J.D., 1977)
- Boston University (LL.M., in Taxation, 1982)
- Wellesley College (A.B., 1963)
- Rhode Island College (H.D., Doctor of Public Service 2003)
Bar & Court Admissions
- Rhode Island
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
Broadly experienced, highly rated and widely recognized for her legal expertise and community service, Sally Dowling puts 30 years of responsive and resourceful legal experience to work for her corporate, closely-held business and healthcare clients. Smart and thorough, she works with other AP&S practices as point-person to provide her clients a full range of effective and efficient business and personal legal services.
Practicing in both Rhode Island and Massachusetts, she counsels privately held businesses and their shareholders on acquisitions, divestitures, financings, business succession, governance and other corporate matters. She has also represented lenders and borrowers in complex financing transactions.
Her clients include major Rhode Island-based manufacturing and service businesses, real estate holding companies, U.S. subsidiaries of foreign corporations and financial institutions. Further, she is frequently called upon by national banks and other financial institutions to render legal opinions on financing transactions.
- She helped a foreign company negotiate a € 30 million contract for the sale of an integrated equipment system.
- For her healthcare clients, she has formed single-specialty and multi-specialty medical practice groups, represented non-profit hospitals in affiliations with both non-profit and for profit health care groups, negotiated office building acquisition and financing, performed analysis of Stark and anti-kickback concerns, physician-employee employment agreements, and buy-in and buy-out of physician owners.
- She advises high net-worth families on a daily basis with respect to governance, succession, legal aspects of private placement investment opportunities, aircraft purchases and various commercial transactions.
- She also has represented:
- Corporate, limited liability company, partnership and individual borrowers in secured and unsecured financing transactions.
- The Rhode Island Secretary of State on corporate and commercial matters, including revisions to laws and promulgation of regulations.
- The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education in connection with public finance matters.
- Both federally and state chartered credit unions in governance, regulatory and commercial law matters.
- The Rhode Island State Investment Commission with respect to its private equity investments for the Employees Retirement System of the State of Rhode Island.
Honors & Distinctions
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, highest rating given to attorneys.
- Recognized in the Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers as one of the state’s best in Corporate/Commercial Law.
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in the The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Mergers and Acquisitions and Public Finance since 2007.
- Selected as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2012, an honor that recognizes her as a leader in the legal community.
- Recipient, Rhode Island College Honorary Doctor of Public Service.
- Rhode Island Foundation, Professional Advisory Council
- Former chair, Rhode Island Supreme Court Ethics Advisory Panel.
Community & Civic Activity
- Chair, Rhode Island Board Governors for Higher Education, 1998-2003.
- Chair and trustee emeritus, Trinity Repertory Company.
- Vice chair, Providence Charter Review Commission.
- Chair, Providence Salary Review Commission.
- Member, Providence School Board Salary Review Commission.
- Former President, Dunes Club and the Dunes Corporation.
- Former chair, Governor’s Criminal Justice Oversight Committee.
- AP&S Attorneys Named to New England Super Lawyers 2012
- AP&S Attorneys Selected for 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers®
- AP&S Gets Top Ranking Among RI Firms
- AP&S Represents St. Joseph Health Services of Rhode Island in Hospital Affiliation
- Sally Dowling Receives Community Service Award
- Ethical Issues for Attorneys and Accountants
Publications & Seminars
- Presenter, Rhode Island Bar Association seminar on “Professionalism.”
- Lectures frequently on legal ethics.