An experienced and accomplished attorney in major commercial real estate transactions and former president of the Rhode Island Senate, Joe brings to his diverse for-profit clients and non-profit health care and educational institutions exceptional development know-how that helps them build, grow and prosper.
As president of Capital Properties, Inc. Joe was instrumental in the revitalization of Downtown Providence, spearheading the development of the Capitol Center District, including the construction of the Citizens Bank Building, the former American Express Building and Center Place Apartments. Previously he served as general counsel and secretary for the Providence and Worcester Railroad Company and general counsel to Rhode Island Oil Company.
His long and notable record of public service has won him selection for induction into the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame. Joe has served on the boards or governing councils of Salve Regina University, St. Joseph’s Health Services of Rhode Island, Sovereign Bank, Providence College, and the Rhode Island Board of Elections.
- Georgetown University (J.D., 1962)
- Providence College (A.B., 1959)
- Salve Regina University, Doctor of Business Administration Honorary (1995)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Represents major health care system.
- Experienced in representing non-profit academic institutions.
- Instrumental in redevelopment of Downtown Providence.
- Guided development and implementation of strategic plan for Providence and Worcester Railroad Company that moved the railroad from leased-line status to independent operation.
- Recipient, 2011 Benjamin R. Sturges Distinguished Service Award, the most prestigious recognition offered by the Hospital Association of Rhode Island Board of Trustees for dedicated service to health care in Rhode Island.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of real estate law since 2006.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in 2011- 2019 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® for real estate.
- Rhode Island state senator for six years, president of the Senate for two years.
- Selected for induction into the Rhode Island Heritage Hall of Fame.
- Awarded honorary doctorate of business administration by Salve Regina University.
- Regina Medal recipient, awarded by Salve Regina University to outstanding individuals whose lives are marked by service to others.
- Chair of Rhode Island Board of Elections for 15 years, initiating move to electronic voting technology.
- Former chair of Rhode Island Convention Center Authority, introducing plan for joint Providence-Warwick Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- 20 year member, Salve Regina University Board of Trustees and Chairman since 1993.
- Member, St. Joseph’s Health Care Services of Rhode Island Board of Trustees.
- Rhode Island Advisory Board member, Sovereign Bank.
- Former member, Providence College Board of Trustees and President's Council.
- Board Member, Heritage Harbor Museum of Rhode Island.
- 20 year member and Chairman, Salve Regina University Board of Trustees.
- Director, Prospect Charter Care Health Services.
- Former Chair, Rhode Island Board of Elections for 15 years, initiating move to electronic voting technology.
- Former Chair of Rhode Island Convention Center Authority, introducing plan for joint Providence-Warwick Convention and Visitors Bureau.
- Former Member, Providence College Board of Trustees and President’s Council.
- Former Member, Roger William University, Board of Trustees.