Marc practices tax and corporate law.
Marc’s tax practices encompasses federal, Rhode Island, and other state taxation. His broad experience includes tax planning for business transactions, tax disputes with the IRS and state tax authorities, and tax compliance assistance. Marc works with business entities of all sizes, high net-worth individuals and their trusts, as well as private foundations and public charities. Because of his experience working for two public accounting firms, Marc understands tax from the perspective of a tax preparer and works to ensure that tax reporting is consistent with the parties’ and drafters’ intent. He knows that tax return mistakes can become complex tax problems with the IRS, Rhode Island, and other states involving substantial amounts. Marc enjoys helping others understand and best navigate tax laws.
In Marc’s corporate practice, Marc drafts simple and complex partnership agreements, LLC operating agreements, corporate bylaws, and contracts, including executive compensation agreements and equity incentive plans. Marc has a passion for helping structure start-up companies and new non-profits, where he assists clients with making business entity selection
- The John Marshall Law School (J.D., 2007)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., 2008)
- Tufts University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1998)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. Tax Court
- Counseled recreation business through tax-free restructuring to achieve expansion efficiency, increased protection of intellectual property, tax reduction, organizational efficiencies, and facilitation of succession planning.
- Drafted LLC operating agreement for real estate development company with a complex distribution waterfall and multiple investments with varying profit and loss allocations.
- Advised new technology start-up company on choice of business entity and how to negotiate and structure equity interests of owners.
- Structured tax-free reorganization to create a family limited partnership to achieve high net-worth family’s goals of estate planning and centralization of asset management.
- Guided former U.S. resident through post-expatriation international tax issues for himself and his alternative investment businesses, including complex U.S. source income determinations.
- Assisted companies in real estate and manufacturing industries to change their state of tax residency to minimize their tax compliance burden and position their owners for tax savings upon the future sale of their business.
- Drafted tax provisions of stock purchase agreement for C corporation client acquiring an S corporation.
- Provided tax research support for accounting firm confronting international tax compliance issues.
- Overhauled construction company’s customer contract to better protect company and to ensure compliance with Rhode Island and Massachusetts laws.
- Advised alternative investment businesses on how to achieve tax alpha in currency futures investments.
- Counsel on options for providing equity-based compensation to key employee and drafted synthetic stock agreement in compliance with section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Advised payment technology company on how to navigate tax laws in repurchase of incentive and non-qualified stock options.
- Drafted brief on appeal from Rhode Island Division of Taxation decision concerning sales and use tax audit.
- Advised nonprofit hospital retirement plan on continuing status as “church plan.”
- Overall tax minimization planning for individuals and businesses.
- Successfully navigated client through voluntary disclosure of state tax liability.
- Advised on and structured tax consequences of litigation settlement agreements.
- Drafted best-in-class kosher certification agreements.
- Completed numerous complex Rhode Island letters of good standing requests and Form 71.3 series filings.
- Board Chair and Secretary, Rhode Island Kosher.
- Member, Jewish Federation Foundation Investment Committee, Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island.
- Member, Executive Committee of Board of Directors, Secretary, Providence Hebrew Day School.