Manager, Library and Research Services – Providence, RI
Adler Pollock & Sheehan (AP&S) is seeking a Manager, Library and Research Services to join our Firm based in our Providence office. AP&S is a New England law firm representing local, national, and international clients in a wide range of complex legal matters. Since 1960, we have been committed to providing clients with the highest levels of legal services through a wide variety of practice areas in our three office locations: Providence and Newport, RI, and Boston, MA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for all aspects of the Library’s administration, budgeting, collection development, vendor content contract negotiation, planning and management of Library space and facilities, and research service provision at Rhode Island’s largest law firm.
- Prepare, justify, and administer a substantial research resources budget and ensure the value of this investment through continuous assessment of the print and digital collections and evaluating alternatives in the marketplace.
- Manage the firm’s online resources to ensure cost-effective use.
- Provide on-demand research services for attorneys and other firm personnel.
- Provide RI legislative monitoring services for firm’s lobbyists and attorneys’ clients’ interests.
- Meet with firm’s other support staff managers to assist in the creation and implementation of firm policies.
- Participate in revision of RI chapters in several 50-state survey publications.
- Communicate and coordinate with Marketing to provide research services to support business and client development initiatives.
- Regularly access a wide array of online resources to support researchers’ information needs including Westlaw, LEXIS, Bloomberg Law, PACER, Hein Online, PLI Plus, Courthouse News Service, VitalLaw, Checkpoint, FastCase, and others.
- Advise and instruct researchers in the use of the firm’s online research resources.
- Create and maintain a wide variety of topical alerts for attorney and others’ current awareness needs.
- Conduct research as needed at region’s public, governmental, and university libraries.
- Maintain Library’s OPAC by cataloging using Softlink’s Liberty software.
- Advise firm personnel on copyright compliance.
- Bills time for reference/research.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Must be highly self-sufficient and capable of handling day-to-day tasks with minimal supervision, plus possess excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to effectively and professionally communicate and collaborate with all levels of the organization.
- Strong business acumen with a proven track record of leading organizational improvements.
- Ability to set priorities and complete diverse assignments on a timely basis.
- Competency in the use of the firm’s online research services.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality regarding client and firm information.
- Prior vendor experience with Westlaw, LEXIS, Bloomberg Law, PACER, Hein Online, PLI Plus, Courthouse News Service, VitalLaw, Checkpoint, FastCase, and others.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s in Library Science from an accredited institution preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in a law firm or comparable professional services setting.
Physical Demands and Conditions Requirements
- General office environment, sitting and viewing computer monitors for extended periods.
- Position requires standing, walking, reaching, and lifting up to 20 lbs.
Hours and Locations of Work
- Providence, RI based position at Citizen’s Plaza
- Routinely, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-5pm
- Periodic travel to other AP&S locations as needed, currently Boston, MA and Newport, RI