Intellectual Property (IP) is a central aspect of many business, corporate and transactional matters. AP&S’ IP transactional attorneys are corporate attorneys experienced in virtually all facets of IP and are capable of assisting clients at all stages of the business cycle, whether through the formation and financing of start-up ventures, addressing day-to-day IP activities of mature and established businesses, such as research, development or licensing projects, cybersecurity and data privacy, or the acquisition or disposition of a business or specific assets, products or services of a business.
We have provided transactional services to clients across a broad range of industries and businesses, including health care, education, consumer goods and services, software, telecommunications, process chemicals and manufacturing.
AP&S’ corporate IP attorneys work closely with attorneys in our firm’s other practice groups to provide a full range of services, including IP litigation, IP prosecution, and representation concerning regulatory, tax, creditors’ rights, and labor and employment issues.
Areas of Concentration
- Acquisitions and divestitures of IP and technology assets
- IP due diligence
- Joint ventures and joint development agreements
- Technology and IP licensing or development agreements
- International technology transfers
- Cybersecurity and data privacy
- Documentation of financing and securitization for technology and IP assets
- Technology services agreements and related documents, including, research agreements, website development agreements, IP consulting agreements, confidentiality agreements, privacy policies and work-for-hire agreements
- Acquisition by a $2 billion Netherlands-based multi-national of the assets of a Connecticut software-development company.
- Represented a plastic injection molding company in a joint development agreement with an international material handling equipment company for the development of a material handling device.
- Represented a medical device start-up company.
- $400 million sale of a Rhode Island-based software development firm to a French-based publicly traded multi-national.
- Represented a private, pre-clinical medical technology company in the sale of its royalty rights to a major institutional investor for $8 million USD.
- Represented a national retail jewelry company in the development and negotiation of numerous software and other intellectual property agreements with third party vendors in connection with its development of a new website and ecommerce platform for the online sale of its merchandise.
- Represented a multinational company that manufactures and sells extrusion machinery in the preparation and negotiation of a license agreement for the worldwide licensing of certain add-on technology for use in connection with its line of extrusion machinery.
- Represented a manufacturer of medical devices in the preparation and negotiation of a development and supply agreement relating to medical ports for a major customer in the medical equipment field.
- Represented a consumer products company in the preparation and drafting of a development and licensing arrangement with another consumer products company for the use of certain of its technology in a new product line.
- Represented a privately-held specialty pharmaceutical company in an acquisition by a publicly-traded NASDAQ pharmaceutical company for $125 million USD plus milestones.
- Represented a privately-held biomedical cancer therapeutic company in an acquisition/asset purchase by a publicly-traded NASDAQ biotech company for $55.3 million USD.
- Represented a subsidiary of a publicly-traded TYO pharmaceutical company in a Sponsored Research Agreement and an Exclusive License Agreement with an American university.
- Represented a privately-held biomedical diagnostic company in a multi-year, worldwide Distribution Agreement with a Fortune 500 healthcare company.
- Represented a publicly-traded NASDAQ genomics company in a Collaboration Agreement with a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company worth over $1.5 billion USD.
- Represented a privately-held biotech regenerative medicine company in an Exclusive Licensing Agreement with a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company worth over $125 million USD, with $15 million USD upon signing.
- Represented a privately-held specialty pharmaceutical company in an IPO on NASDAQ for $70 million USD.
- Represented the underwriters in the IPO of a privately-held molecular diagnostic company on NASDAQ for $82.5 million USD.
- Represented the underwriters in the IPO of a privately-held biotechnology company on TSX for $42.4 million CDN, representing the largest Life Sciences IPO in Canada at the time.
- Represented a publicly-traded NASDAQ regenerative medicine company in the merger with two privately-held biotech companies to form a new publicly-traded NASDAQ regenerative medicine company.