Susan Leach DeBlasio will be presenting a seminar for the Washington County Bar Association entitled, “Ethical Considerations in Representing a Business Entity,” on Thursday, June 4, 2015, at 5:00pm at the Holiday Inn, South Kingstown.
This seminar will address the key ethical issues that arise in providing legal representation in business transactions. The primary objective is to alert attorneys who engage in business law on a regular basis as well as those who only occasionally handle a business transaction to the issues they may encounter, the ethics rules that apply, and the practical approaches that may be available to resolve them.
Some of the questions for consideration will be:
- How is the relationship established and who is the client (the business entity and/or its officers/directors/shareholders)?
- May a lawyer represent more than one party in a transaction?
- What constitutes a conflict of interest?
- What is the transactional lawyer’s responsibility for preserving confidences?
- May a lawyer have a financial interest in a client’s business?