William Dolan is a trial attorney practicing in commercial litigation, professional ethics and malpractice, bankruptcy, and construction law. His clients include state and governmental agencies, major cities and towns, Fortune 500 companies, hedge funds, national retail chains, and others.
Bill’s best known work includes leading groundbreaking class action pension reform litigation in Rhode Island, and obtaining multi-million dollar jury and bench verdicts in state and federal courts throughout the region. His efforts have been central to important cases involving governmental entities, tobacco companies, construction firms, national retailers, and financial institutions.
Before joining AP&S Bill practiced at Donoghue, Barrett & Singal and prior to that was an associate and partner for 25 years at Brown Rudnick LLP where he served as Managing Director of Litigation, General Counsel and Chief Legal Officer.
Emory University (J.D., Order of the Barristers, 1985)
University of Rhode Island (B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, 1981)
U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
U.S. Supreme Court
Maryland Court of Appeals
- Represented the City of Providence in the successful defense and settlement of groundbreaking class action pension reform litigation. The Providence Retired Police and Firefighters Assn. v. The City of Providence, Superior Court for Providence County.
- Obtained a jury verdict in Massachusetts state court in favor of a developer on a $65 million claim arising from a ground lease dispute. Rogers Street LLC v. MBA Rogers Street LLC, Superior Court for Suffolk County.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar bench verdict in federal district court on behalf of an energy company against a prominent international contractor arising from substantial construction change order and delay claims. ADP Marshall v. NORESCO LLC, U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island.
- Secured a Rhode Island state court jury verdict in favor of an executrix of a significant estate in a will contest over charges of undue influence and lack of capacity. Payne v. Payne, Superior Court for Washington County.
- Obtained a jury verdict for a Fortune 500 company on a $34 million claim arising from the acquisition of two power production facilities in New England. Tiverton Power Associates Limited Partnership v. Shaw Group Inc., Case No. 01-10914-WGY, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts.
- Successfully defended the State of Rhode Island in a $650 million bid protest. Blue Cross & Blue Shield v. Najarian, 865 A.2d 1074 (R.I. 2005).
- Served as co-counsel to the State of Rhode Island in the prosecution and settlement of claims against the tobacco manufacturers resulting in the historic and unprecedented 2003 Master Settlement Agreement that awarded the State of Rhode Island $1 billion in damages.
- Procured the dismissal of breach of commitment claims brought by a chapter 11 trustee against a prominent hedge fund.
- Defeated a motion for summary judgement on behalf of two national retail pharmacy chains in a civil antitrust case. Stop & Shop Supermarket Company v. Blue Cross, 239 F. Supp 2d 180 (D.R.I. 2003).
- Defeated a motion of a major oil company for summary judgment in a case of first impression arising under The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. Raymond K. Hoxsie Real Estate Turst v. Exxon, 81 F. Supp. 2d 359 (D.R.I 2000)
- Successfully represented the State of Rhode Island as principal trial and insolvency counsel in the receivership of certain privately insured banks and credit unions with assets totaling $1 billion. Paradis v. Central Credit Union, 680 A.2d 70 (R.I. 1996).
- Successfully defended a national finance company in the successor liability claim arising under the WARN Act.
- Secured an important ruling confirming the subrogation rights of a contract bond surety. Fireman’s Ins. v. Todesca Equip., 310 F.3d 32 (1st 2002).
- Construction Management / Design Build in Rhode Island, Lorman Education Services (July 2017)
- The Agreement of Indemnity, the Sureties Handling of Contract Bond Problems: Enforcement of the Sureties Rights Against the Principal and the Indemnitors Under the Agreement of Indemnity, Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Committee, (January 1989) (co-author).
- The Contractors Default as a Condition Precedent to the Contract Bond Surety’s Right of Subrogation, Torts and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, (August 1999).
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2019 edition of The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Construction Law and Litigation - Construction.
- Named Rhode Island Super Lawyer 2017 and 2018, by the publishers of Super Lawyers.
- Member, American Bar Association, Forum on Construction and the Fidelity and Surety Subcommittee, Torts and Insurance Practice Section.
- Instructor on Federal Court Jurisdiction, Federal Bar Examiners, U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island.