AP&S has a highly recognized, diverse and broad-based litigation practice, which is the largest and most experienced in Southeastern New England. We represent local, regional, national and international clients on wide-ranging litigation matters involving:
- Antitrust and trade regulations
- Arbitration, mediation and other dispute-resolution processes and techniques
- Business disputes
- Director and officer liability
- Employment discrimination
- Insurance, and health care issues
- Intellectual property
- Pre-claim evaluation and assessment
- Professional malpractice
- Tort claims (including product liability and negligence claims alleging injuries to property and person).
Our philosophy is to counsel clients to avoid litigation if possible, but be prepared and aggressive when it becomes necessary. AP&S litigators—cited by The National Law Journal as among the best in the U.S. for service, quality and value—are admitted to practice in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, New Hampshire, Maine, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and the United States Supreme Court, as well as other jurisdictions, and have represented clients in state and federal courts throughout the country.
- John A. Tarantino, Speaker and Victoria M. Almeida, Moderator, One Tweet Away from Boardroom to Courtroom: The Evolving Intersection of Law and Technology, RI Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 2015.
- Geoffrey W. Millsom and Brenna A. Force, Social Media in Litigation, MetLife Auto & Home 2015 House Counsel Conference, May 7, 2015.
- Todd D. White and Nicole J. Benjamin, Voir Dire and Jury Selection, NBI, February 2015.
- Nicole J. Benjamin, Everything You Don’t Know About E-Discovery (But Wish You Did), NBI, June 2014.
- Nicole J. Benjamin and Robert J. Humm, Electronic Discovery: Unraveling Email Strings and Strands, CLE, April 2011.
- Todd D. White, Dirty Litigation Tactics: How to Deal with the “Rambo Litigator,” NBI, November 2010.
- James A. Hall, Moderator, Practical and Ethical Pitfalls of Practicing Against Pro Se Litigants, RI Bar Association Annual Meeting. June, 2010.
- Todd D. White, Building Your Civil Trial Skills, NBI, February 2009.
- Jeffrey K. Techentin, Evidence and Expert Testimony Best Practices: Supporting Your Case, NBI, August 2008.
- Todd D. White, The Art of Depositions: Powerful Techniques to Maximize Your Success, NBI, June 2008.
- John A. Tarantino, Evidence: Strategies for Finding, Preserving and Using Evidence to Support Your Case, December 2007.
- Todd D. White, How to Select the Right Jury for Your Case, NBI, February 2007.
- Geoffrey W. Millsom, A Litigation Perspective on Electronic Records & Records Management Policy, Amica Mutual Insurance Co., January 2006.
- Kyle M. Zambarano, Co-author, Rhode Island Chapter of the Tort Law Desk Reference: A Fifty State Compendium, 2008 – 2014 editions.
- Geoffrey W. Millsom, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Depositions: But Your Client Could Not Afford to Research, RI Bar Journal, 2002.
- Andrew C. Spacone, “Strict Liability in the European Union-Not A United States Analog “ 5 Roger Williams Law Review 341, 2000.
- Patricia K. Rocha, Co-author of an important national text on trial advocacy and a contributing author of three others.
- Patricia K. Rocha, In conjunction with a leading publishing company, developed a series of comprehensive forms for practicing lawyers and produced a collection of model closing arguments for defense attorneys.
- Patricia K. Rocha, author of articles on evidence, direct and cross-examination, various aspects of constitutional law, criminal law and federal sentencing guidelines.
Chambers & Partners
Ranked top among law firms in Rhode Island in Chambers USA.
Law Firm of the Year, Rhode Island.
U.S News Best Lawyers
Rated Tier 1 Metropolitan “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News-Best Lawyer.