A recognized leading litigator and chair of the Litigation Group, Pat has successfully tried and defended cases ranging from commercial litigation, product liability and toxic tort, employment discrimination and redistricting litigation, bribery, wire fraud, honest services and conspiracy. Pat’s health care practice includes representing health care providers before state and federal regulatory agencies as well as in civil and criminal investigations.
Dedicated to the law and service to society, Pat has tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the country, working as a team with her clients to reach successful resolutions in the most efficient manner.
Pat has co-authored a national text on trial advocacy and written articles on evidence, trial strategy, various aspects of constitutional law, criminal law and on federal sentencing guidelines. She frequently lectures at regional and national seminars on these topics.
“Ms. Rocha provides superb advice; both legal and from a business perspective. She has the technical experience and equally if not more importantly the business judgment that has successfully guided American Renal Associates through many twists and turns prevalent in a health care organization. Pat is responsible and we have never lost with her guidance.”
Joe Carlucci, CEO, American Renal Associates
- Boston College (J.D., 1982)
- Brown University (A.B., with honors, 1979)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Pat represented the Transacting Party in the first Hospital Conversions Act Application accepted by the Rhode Island Department of Health and Attorney General and has successfully represented Transacting Parties in subsequent hospital acquisitions.
- Pat defended a major health care insurer on antitrust charges brought in federal court by an out of state hospital system.
- Pat defended a national utility company in a federal court trial involving charges of environmental law violations.
- Pat defended a gaming facility on charges of “honest services” mail and wire fraud and conspiracy in two federal court trials.
- Pat defended a major foreign pharmaceutical manufacturing company in a multi-jurisdictional criminal case relating to the marketing and distribution of HGH.
- Pat successfully filed a motion to disqualify plaintiff’s counsel in a federal court action in which the court adopted for the first time the “hot potato” doctrine barring an attorney and law firm from curing dual representation of clients by severing the relationship with the pre-existing client for a more lucrative one.
- Pat has defended a number of clients in class action, antitrust, false claims act and employment discrimination cases.
- Pat has successfully represented health care providers in acquiring regulatory approvals from Rhode Island regulators, as well as providing a defense to them in state and federal civil and criminal investigations.
- Pat advises cannabis clients on legal and regulatory issues including licensing, litigation and compliance issues.
- Pat has also successfully challenged unconstitutional regulatory schemes in the Rhode Island Supreme and Superior Courts as well as in the Rhode Island U.S. District Court.
- Panelist, Federal Civil Rules Changes, November 2015.
- Co-authored Rhode Island chapter of “A Practitioner’s Guide to Class Actions” published by the American Bar Association.
- Co-authored an important national text on trial advocacy and has been a contributing author on three others.
- In conjunction with a leading publishing company, she has also developed a series of comprehensive forms for practicing lawyers and has produced a collection of model closing arguments for defense attorneys.
- She has written articles on evidence, direct and cross-examination, various aspects of constitutional law, criminal law and on changes to the law on federal sentencing guidelines.
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year 2022, Banking and Finance, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year 2021, Administrative / Regulatory Law, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year 2020, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Providence.
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Health Care, Rhode Island Monthly 2019 – 2022.
- Listed in “America’s Top 100 Attorneys”, 2016 – 2018.
- Named as one of the Top 250 Women in Litigation by Benchmark Litigation and Euromoney Legal Media Group, 2013–2019.
- Selected by her peers for inclusion in 2006-2022 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Administrative Law, Regulatory, Civil Rights Law, Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, White Collar Criminal Defense, and Litigation – Labor & Employment Law, Litigation – Banking and Finance.
- Recognized in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers.
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year 2013, 2016 and 2019, Administrative / Regulatory Law, Providence.
- Named 2012 Commercial Litigator of the Year by Finance Monthly Magazine.
- Selected as a local litigation star in the 2011-2021 editions of Benchmark Litigation and Benchmark Appellate.
- Named in the Expert Guide to the US Leading Health Care Lawyers.
- Selected as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2007-2021.
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Selected by New England Super Lawyers as one of The Top 50 Women in New England in 2012 – 2018 and Top Ten List of Rhode Island Super Lawyers.
- Recipient, Boston College Law School 75th Anniversary Alumni Award, 2005.
- Member, Rhode Island Supreme Court Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, 2016 – present.
- Chair, Federal Court Bench Bar Committee, 2009- 2019.
- Member and Chair, Federal Board of Bar Admissions for the United States District Court for the District of Rhode Island, 2005-2011.
- Chair, Rhode Island Supreme Court Committee on Character and Fitness, April 2007-2013.
- Co-chair of the 2008 Rhode Island District Court Conference Committee.
- Member, Rhode Island Commission on Judicial Tenure and Discipline, 2009–2014.
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers.
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers.
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America.
- Fellow, Rhode Island Bar Foundation.
- Member, Defense Counsel of Rhode Island, Board of Directors, 2005–2009.
- Member, Federal Bar Association.
- Member, Defense Research Institute.
- Boston College Law School Board of Overseers.
- President, Rhode Island Chapter Boston College Law School Alumni Association.
- National Judicial College, Board of Visitors.