Skilled in governmental relations and legislative issues, Richard assists domestic and international companies to succeed and grow, in both regulated and deregulated industries including energy and telecommunications, financial services, health care, insurance, retail, real estate development, entertainment and manufacturing.
His considerable energy experience includes representing domestic and foreign energy companies in developing New England generation facilities. He served as lead counsel in the siting of Rhode Island’s largest electric generation plant. He is currently engaged in the permitting process for a 1000 MW power plant.
Richard also has broad experience in litigation matters where he defends insured and self-insured clients in health care litigation, construction accidents, professional liability, product liability, premises liability, corrections actions and director and officer liability matters as well as representing fidelity and surety companies in the litigation of fiduciary/inventory loss and construction disputes.
- Northeastern University School of Law (J.D., 1989)
- Tufts University (D.M.D., 1986)
- College of Holy Cross (A.B., 1982)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- Recently represented a food distribution company that conducted a nationwide product recall due to salmonella contamination of its products through tainted pepper. Obtained a $33 million judgment against one spice company defendant, resolved all claims against the other spice company and successfully pursued other responsible parties.
- Represented a community hospital in Superior Court mastership proceeding involving multiple matters including the sale to an out-of-state hospital system.
- Defended a municipal detention facility in civil rights actions including a well-publicized case arising out of the death of an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainee.
- Represents domestic and foreign energy companies in New England generation facilities development.
- Special counsel to the Rhode Island Convention Center Authority.
- Represents fidelity and surety companies in litigation of fiduciary/inventory loss and construction disputes.
- Represents the firm's clients in premises liability, construction accidents, professional liability, products liability, corrections claims and director and officer liability matters.
- A former practicing dentist, Richard often advises the firm's health care clients on issues of insurance, professional liability and fraud and abuse; represents health care practitioners before state regulatory and licensing boards in a broad range of regulatory and administrative matters.
- Co-authored the Rhode Island chapter of the ABA Performance Bond Manual.
- Best Lawyers' 2016 Lawyer of the Year, Government Relations Practice, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ 2015 Lawyer of the Year, Administrative / Regulatory, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ 2013 Lawyer of the Year, Government Relations Practice, Providence.
- Selected as a Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2013 and 2016.
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2007–2017 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of governmental relations and administrative law.
- Director, Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce.
- Member, American Bar Association's Governmental, Fidelity/Surety and Energy sections.
- Defense Research Institute member.
- Former member, Rhode Island Governor's Task Force on Insurance.
- Board member and former chairman, Gateway Healthcare Foundation, a network of community-based mental-health and child-services providers.
- Board member, Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce.
- Director, Trinity Repertory Company.
- Director, CharterCARE Foundation.
- Former member, Governing Council, YMCA of Pawtucket.
- Former chairman, Diocese of Providence School Board.
- Former board member, American Heart Association.
- Member of numerous committees for specific fundraising events for a variety of charities.