Michael is Counsel in the Boston office and is a member of the Litigation Department. He helps clients with a variety of commercial litigation matters, including contract claims, class action matters, leasing disputes, and negligence claims. His experience includes representing insurance companies in coverage matters, and defending professionals against malpractice claims. Michael also provides litigation and risk-management services, and counsels his clients on claims handling practices.
Michael has spoken and written on various topics involving litigation and insurance issues. He is actively involved in the ABA’s Tort and Insurance Practice Section and enjoys leadership positions on several committees. He is actively engaged in the community and local bar associations.
- Suffolk University School of Law (J.D., 2005)
- College of the Holy Cross (B.A., 1999)
- New Hampshire
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Defended a Massachusetts medical device start-up against shareholder fraud claims. Assisted the company navigate the litigation while it simultaneously progressed through funding rounds, requiring diligence in the litigation and sensitivity to the client’s business needs.
- Represented a large condominium association in action against developer and general contractor for breach of contract claims.
- Served as coverage counsel to a global insurance company whose insured was targeted in a massive antitrust lawsuit. Advised the insurer on coverage and strategy issues in the multi-tower litigation and participated in multi-lateral settlement negotiations among the coverage group.
- Represented large national businesses in local contract disputes over commercial leases.
- Defended the former CEO of large staffing company against breach of contract claim from purchaser of company and achieved a favorable result.
- Advised an insurer client on claims from multiple insureds arising out of the mishandling of FEMA post-hurricane relief funds. Coordinated and developed a uniform insurer response to claims arising from multiple claimant contracts.
- Defended a large law firm and its principals against a malpractice action alleging improper corporate and tax advice. Used expert witness testimony to establish the propriety of the law firm’s advice and achieved a favorable result for the firm.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for large products liability defendants. Directed and managed outside counsel, devised unique strategies for cases pending nationwide, helped develop clients’ expert witness program, and coordinated discovery in multiple cases across the country. Successfully negotiated global settlement agreements encompassing multiple lawsuits for his clients.
- Liability Claims Against Architects & Engineers (New York CLE, March 2015).
- Cyber Liability & Data Breach from the Insurance Perspective (NH CLE, Sept. 2015).
- Refreshing or Creating Witness Recollection: Where is the Line? (ABA TIPS Newsletter 2016).
- Cyber Liabilities Continue to Grow (ABA TIPS/PODL Newsletter, Jan. 2016).
- Chapter 93A and Bad Faith Claims (BBA Seminar Moderator, May 2013).
- Social Media Defamation Claims (BBA Seminar Moderator, March 2013).
- Toxic Tort Claims, Nuts and Bolts (BBA Seminar Moderator, October 2012).
- Member, American Bar Association (Tort & Insurance Practice Section) – Professional Liability Insurance Committee Vice-Chair, Lawyer Professional Liability Subcommittee.
- American Bar Association (Tort & Insurance Practice Section) – Insurance Coverage Litigation Vice-Chair.
- New Hampshire Bar Association – Insurance Law Committee.
- Boston Bar Association – Litigation Steering Committee Member (2012 – 2014).
- Town of Milton Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Boston.
- Public Schools Committee to Benefit Public School Science Programs.
- Member, Holy Cross Alumni Lawyers Committee.
- Regis High School Alumni Society, New York, NY.
- Michael serves on several community organizations in his hometown outside of Boston.