Nick Nybo is a commercial trial and appellate litigator licensed to practice law in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Nick has experience with private and public contract disputes, state and federal court receiverships, municipal pension litigation, election law disputes and constitutional tort litigation. His professional interests include employment law, specifically first amendment and whistleblower litigation.
Prior to joining AP&S, Nick was an associate at Donoghue Barrett and Singal. He also served as a judicial law clerk to the superior court judges of Connecticut where he assisted those judges in deciding pretrial dispositive motions. Nick interned with the Honorable Francis X. Flaherty, Associate Justice of the Rhode Island Supreme Court. He also interned with the Civil Division of the Office of the Attorney General of Rhode Island. While in law school, Nick was an active member of the school’s moot court program and served as an articles editor on the Roger Williams Law Review.
Roger Williams University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
Bryant University (B.B.A. 2010)
U.S. District Court, Rhode Island
U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Secured a dismissal in Rhode Island federal court of constitutional claims against a Rhode Island city arising from the city’s 2013 pension reform efforts. Successfully briefed and argued the subsequent appeal in the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a Rhode Island municipality in a seventeen day bench trial in Rhode Island Superior Court defending constitutional claims arising from the municipality’s pension reform efforts and helped secure a judgment in favor of the municipality on all counts.
- Represented the Providence Board of Canvassers in connection with a citizen recall of a city councilman and the resulting litigation before the Rhode Island Superior Court and the Rhode Island Supreme Court, as well as administrative proceedings before the State Board of Elections.
- Successfully secured a preliminary injunction in Rhode Island Superior Court for Providence County on behalf of an insurance brokerage firm enjoining the termination of a brokerage contract with a national medical malpractice insurance company and subsequently negotiated a settlement extending the termination date.
- Represented a blood product manufacturer in a multi-million dollar product liability dispute with various blood centers across the country. Assisted in successfully resolving all dispute through a series of mediations.
- Represented a local banking institution against a national bank in mediating UCC Article 3 claims pending in Rhode Island federal court and arising from a check-kiting scheme.
- Secured a preliminary injunction on behalf of a financial advising firm against a former employee enforcing a non-solicitation agreement.
- Electronic Discovery for Colleges and Universities, Brown University, January, 2019.
- Preserving Justice: A Discussion of Rhode Island’s “Raise or Waive” Doctrine, 20 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 375 (2015).
- A Three Ring Circus: The Exploitation of Civil RICO, How Treble Damages Cause It, and Whether Rule 11 Can Remedy the Abuse, 18 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 19 (2013).
- Rhode Island Survey: State v. Sampson, 17 Roger Williams U. L. Rev. 547 (2012).
- Named Rhode Island Rising Star 2017 and 2018, by the publishers of Super Lawyers.
- Member, 2019 Omicron II Leadership Rhode Island Class
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association