AP&S attorneys have an established track record of success in complex, high-profile criminal cases in federal and state trial and appellate courts and have also handled many related ethics and regulatory charges and hearings. Our experience spans:
- Handling and defending numerous trials and appeals in the state and federal courts in major federal investigations such as “Plunder Dome,” “Operation Dollar Bill,” “Operation Raw Deal,” and many others;
- Representing targets, subjects and witnesses in grand jury proceedings;
- Providing counsel on internal investigations;
- Serving as authors and frequent lecturers on criminal defense topics.
We work to avoid the criminal prosecutions of our clients to the extent possible, and we regularly and effectively negotiate with state and federal prosecutors to convince them not to bring criminal charges. We also work closely with in-house legal counsel and corporate boards of directors conducting internal investigations and, where appropriate, with federal and state prosecutors to negotiate non-prosecution agreements. But when we must go to trial, we litigate aggressively and professionally. We have tried to verdict many cases involving mail and wire fraud, honest services, bribery, conspiracy, political corruption, ethics, gaming-related charges, financial crimes, construction fraud, money laundering, and more.
Well recognized and honored for their criminal-defense work, our attorneys are members and Fellows in such organizations as the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, the American Board of Trial Advocates, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the American Bar Association’s White Collar Criminal Defense Practice Section, and the National College for DUI Defense.
Areas of Concentration
- Mail/wire fraud
- Honest services
- Financial crimes
- Medicare/Medicaid fraud
- Health care fraud and abuse
- Nursing home fraud and abuse
- Government contracting fraud
- Hobbs Act
- Securities fraud
- Criminal antitrust
- False claims
- Money laundering
- Grand jury investigations
- Internal investigations
- Ethics charges
- Numerous state offenses, including felony and misdemeanor driving under the influence of alcohol or drug cases, implied consent charges, traffic-related matters
- AP&S attorneys successfully defended the former Mayor of Providence’s Chief of Staff in federal corruption, bribery and conspiracy charges, obtaining a jury verdict on all counts.
- AP&S attorneys represented through two trials and appeals a U.K.-based gaming institution on public corruption, honest services and bribery charges.
- AP&S represented the subsidiary of a Fortune 500 company in a significant grand jury investigation relating to alleged fraudulent lending-schemes, convincing a federal prosecutor not to seek indictment.
- AP&S attorneys represented the former Senate President on ethics charges and in a related criminal investigation.
- AP&S attorneys represented owners of nursing homes and health care facilities, defending them on Medicaid, Medicare, equity-skimming and fraud claims.
- AP&S represented a major wire and cable manufacturer on internal investigations relating to kickback and fraud charges in that industry.
- AP&S attorneys represented a national utility company on defense of criminal environmental charges brought under federal statutes relating to the alleged improper storage of chemicals.
- AP&S attorneys successfully defended the employee of a precious-metals firm on charges of stealing gold and silver, obtaining a defense verdict on all charges.
- AP&S attorneys defended a foreign national physician on charges of money laundering, health care fraud and conspiracy.
- AP&S successfully represented a financial institution investigated for allegedly paying kickbacks to a local politician, convincing prosecutors not to bring charges.
- AP&S represented a Chinese pharmaceutical company in a multi-state, multi-jurisdictional regulatory and criminal prosecution arising out of baseball’s “Mitchell Report” and involving the distribution of HGH in the United States and abroad. AP&S successfully negotiated a plea that resulted in a fine and community service payments and a misdemeanor with no jail time for the company’s president.
- On a pro bono basis, AP&S attorneys, and working with the ABA Death Penalty Project, represented a death-row inmate through state and federal appeals and habeas corpus
- AP&S attorneys were court appointed by the chief judge of a federal court to represent a member of the Latin Kings gang. We were successful in convincing the U.S. Department of Justice to decline seeking the death penalty and defended, through the court appointment, the reputed head of the Latin Kings gang in a trial that lasted several months.
- Our attorneys have authored texts on criminal defense and have also served as editors and contributors to a national criminal defense journal. Additionally, AP&S attorneys have contributed criminal defense articles to such magazines as Criminal Justice, DWI Journal: Law & Science, the Rhode Island Bar Journal, the Connecticut Bar Journal, and The Champion, the magazine of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. From 1984 through 1992, an AP&S attorney served as a regular columnist for The Champion.
- AP&S attorneys have spoken at local, regional and national bar programs and seminars on various aspects of criminal defense, including white collar criminal defense, DUI alcohol and drugs, DNA, forensic evidence, opening statements and closing arguments in criminal defense cases, evidentiary issues in criminal defense cases, ethical issues in criminal defense cases, and Daubert and other scientific evidence in criminal defense cases.
- Rated Tier 1 Metropolitan “Best Law Firm” by Best Lawyer®.