An experienced litigator, Jeffrey Techentin is co-chair of Adler Pollock & Sheehan’s Intellectual Property (IP) Practice Group. His practice spans an array of complex litigation matters with a focus on IP, including internet and technology law, patent and trademark infringement (particularly in the software and social media areas), trade secret matters, and copyright. Jeff’s experience includes the full range of dispute resolution, from direct negotiations to mediations and arbitrations to bench and jury trials. He also counsels clients on the establishment and protection of IP rights necessary to the conduct and promotion of their business interests.
Combining breadth of knowledge and experience, keen business insights and attention to technology trends, Jeff provides clients with timely, sound, strategic advice on development and protection of various types of IP as well as tactical advice necessary to implement clients’ strategic plans.
Jeff’s experience as a trial attorney goes beyond IP-related matters. He has been conducting jury trials and other in-court proceedings for nearly two decades, going back to the beginning of his career when he served as a prosecutor in the United States Army Judge Advocate General’s Corps to his current position as a prominent litigator in the Rhode Island bar.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., 1993)
- Kalamazoo College (B.A., 1990)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Federal Circuits
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Jeff’s experience in trademark law coupled with his understanding of digital technology resulted in $500,000 settlement for his client in a trademark infringement/cybersquatting suit in Rhode Island and Florida federal courts. In addition, the defendant relinquished the infringing domain names.
- He won a rapid settlement in a $1 million dispute without resort to litigation. For a small apparel-manufacturer in a trademark infringement matter, Jeff’s knowledge of the industry and key players won the issuance of corrective public statements disclosing previous misstatements of the origin of goods.
- In a $40 million suit against Jeff’s client, the Rhode Island Convention Center Authority, by a construction company, he and his team won summary disposition of all claims in a bench trial—thanks to an aggressive and efficient litigation plan—that allowed the project to move forward.
- For a large toy and entertainment company in an $8 million breach of contract suit, Jeff and his team won a jury verdict awarding damages and completely rejecting counterclaims.
- In Rhode Island federal court, Jeff helped the New England Gas Company win a declaration that state labor-relations statutes were preempted by federal law. A close-knit trial team with intimate knowledge of the industry and the client worked to challenge the state statutes.
- When a client learned that state lotteries were giving away knock-off goods under his brand name, Jeff and his colleagues quickly negotiated a resolution that led to a substantial settlement and an ongoing business partnership.
- Jeff has defended AP&S' client in a nationally-prominent civil rights action against a municipal detention facility and a number of its employees arising out of an immigration detention.
- Jeff obtained judgment as a matter of law on claims arising out of allegedly false patent marking in one of the first cases of its kind after the adoption of the America Invents Act.
- Author, "U.S. Supreme Court: Good Faith Belief That a Patent is Invalid is No Defense to Induced Patent Infringement", JD Supra, June, 2015.
- Bar seminar, Evidence and Expert Witness Best Practices.
- Bar seminar, Nuts and Bolts of Preparing an Appeal.
- Jeffrey K. Techentin Presents Intellectual Property Seminar.
- Jeff Techentin to Speak at Brown Forum Enterprise.
- Techentin To Present at Best Practices Seminar.
- Professional Excellence in the Law, IP Rights, Rhode Island Monthly, 2019.
- Named an IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine, 2013 - 2015.
- Member, Board of Bar Admissions, Instructor on Federal Jurisdiction.
- Member, District of Rhode Island Ad Hoc Electronic Discovery Subcommittee.
- Member, ABA Intellectual Property Section.
- Member, Federal Bar Association, Defense Counsel of Rhode Island.
- Member, Program Committee for Leadership Rhode Island and former Co-chair of Program Committee.
- Member, South County Hospital Healthcare System, Board of Corporators.
- Leadership Rhode Island, Class of 2010, Member, Program Committee, Past Co-Chair of Program Committee, 2014.