A highly skilled trial lawyer, Todd has won notable, high-stakes verdicts for his varied business and governmental clients. In recent cases, he secured verdicts of $1.5 million and $3.1 million in minority shareholder and personal injury disputes, and also won defense verdicts in several multimillion dollar contract and intellectual property cases.
Focusing on personal injury, product liability, toxic tort, medical malpractice, complex commercial litigation, securities litigation, and insurance defense and coverage issues, Todd has extensive trial experience in the state and federal courts of both Rhode Island and Massachusetts. His clients include Rhode Island municipalities and developers, a prominent toy manufacturer, national insurance carriers, institutional clients, physicians, nurses and a variety of medical professionals, individuals, and a variety of mid-size local businesses.
- Suffolk University Law School (J.D., 1994)
- Columbia University (B.A., 1982)
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- Obtained a $2.4 million dollar mid-trial settlement for client in a dram shop wrongful death case.
- Obtained a $1.9 million dollar jury verdict in a personal injury case representing an injured construction worker.
- Obtained a Superior Court jury defense verdict for a commercial client in a personal injury product liability case.
- Obtained a Federal Court jury verdict for a manufacturer of a toaster oven in a home fire case.
- Obtained summary judgment in Federal Court in favor of an insurer in multi-million dollar insurance coverage dispute.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar award for a minority shareholder in a commercial arbitration.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial in favor of a client alleged to have caused a vehicle v. pedestrian accident which resulted in a brain injury.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement for the victim of a construction site accident;
- Negotiated and settled a wide variety of lawsuits for both commercial defendants and commercial plaintiffs prior to arbitration or trial.
- Obtained a jury verdict for the defense in a $1 million-plus claim of a fraudulent will.
- Obtained defense verdicts in several multi-million dollar licensing and intellectual property disputes.
- Obtained a jury verdict for a client alleging retaliation against him in violation of the “Massachusetts Whistleblower Protection Act.”
- Regular lecturer, NBI Trial Skills Seminar.
- Best Lawyers’ 2022 Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Construction, Providence..
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2005-2022 editions of The Best Lawyers in America®.
- Professional Excellence in the Law, Civil Trial, 2019 and 2020 and Personal Injury, 2021, Rhode Island Monthly.
- Best Lawyers’ 2018 Lawyer of the Year, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, Providence.
- Best Lawyers’ 2017 Lawyer of the Year, Litigation – Construction, Providence..
- Recognized by Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of Litigation: General Commercial.
- Selected as a local litigation star in the 2013- 2019 editions of Benchmark Litigation.
- Named, Rhode Island Super Lawyer, 2008-2016.
- AV Rated in Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for attorneys.
- Cum laude graduate, Suffolk University School of Law, where he was awarded for oral advocacy skill.
- Recipient, Columbia University Alumni Award.
- Team captain and most valuable player, Columbia University varsity soccer team.
- Member, Rhode Island Trial Lawyer’s Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Soccer coach, founder and program coordinator soccer training camp; Olympic development coach