Alan’s practice encompasses all aspects of energy, environmental, and public utility law. His clients include some of the largest national and regional energy, cable, telecommunications and water and transportation companies. Alan has advised these clients through all stages of project development, financing, mergers and acquisitions, and in regulatory proceedings and litigation, and government affairs.
With experience in wind, solar, hydro and other renewable energy matters, Alan has represented developers, investors, contractors, utilities, and municipalities in several successful and innovative sustainable energy projects. In the communications sector, Alan’s clients include national cable companies and regional telecommunications and internet provider businesses. In the water sector, his clients include municipal and regional water utilities. In the transportation sector, Alan’s clients include ferry businesses and motor vehicle companies, as well as transportation network providers.
Prior to joining Adler Pollock & Sheehan, Alan served in several capacities in industry and government. He served as an Assistant General Counsel and Director of Regulatory Affairs for utility companies, as General Counsel for the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, and as a Special Assistant Attorney General.
- Vermont Law School (J.D., 1983)
- Brown University (B.A., 1979)
- Rhode Island
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Represents national and regional cable, telecom and broadband internet service providers transitioning to internet applications for communications services.
- Represents solar energy project developers in successful development, permitting and financing transactions for the largest landfill redevelopment project in the region (8 megawatts).
- Negotiated all significant commercial and financing agreements necessary for the development and financing of several (2 megawatts) land based wind turbine projects in Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Developed landmark renewable energy power purchase agreement, turbine supply agreement, wind energy lease agreement, EPC agreement, Renewable Energy Credit Agreement and other key documents required for use by an innovative public/private partnership wind energy project located on a municipal landfill in Massachusetts.
- Represents natural gas power developers and entities in permitting and transactional matters associated with a $350 million dollar sale of a 550 megawatt combined cycle natural gas power plant and a $315 million dollar sale of a 279 megawatt combined cycle natural gas power plant in New England.
- Obtained all energy siting and permitting approvals for the construction of transmission facilities necessary to develop the second largest (40 megawatt) landfill/methane energy generation facility in the U.S.
- Secured approvals for rate adjustments and financing for a regional water utility and funding for replacement of a water-treatment facility and improvements to infrastructure.
- Negotiated an innovative lease of a publicly owned hydropower production facility on a river in Rhode Island for use by a private hydropower developer and represented seller in transactions involving the sale of equity interests in a hydropower business.
- Successfully resolved several multi-million dollar commercial financing disputes on behalf of regional telecommunications and internet service providers.
- Created the rules and administrative program requirements for a state renewable energy financing corporation to help facilitate the development of new clean energy projects.
- Advised ferry and motor carrier businesses expanding into new market opportunities in New England.
- Frequent lecturer on energy, utility and renewable energy developments in New England.
- University lecturer on American business law to Chinese graduate and law students, Changchun, Jilin Province, People’s Republic of China, 1991-1992.
- Energy and Renewable Energy Initiatives in Rhode Island, RI Chapter of Environmental Business Council, Seminar, September 12, 2015.
- Author, Wind Power Development in Rhode Island, AP&S Newsletter, 2007.
- Recognized in Chambers USA America’s Leading Business Lawyers in the area of corporate/commercial law.
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year 2019, Energy Law, Providence.
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013–2019 editions in the field of Energy Law.
- Vice Chair, R.I. Chapter, Environmental Business Council.
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Energy and Environment Committee.
- Federal Communications Bar Association.
- Board member, Temple Beth-El.
- Board member, Rhode Island Red Cross.
- Board member, Brown University Club of Rhode Island.
- Leadership Rhode Island, Class of 2008.